Monday, February 21, 2011

Guess what? YOU'RE a person!!!

As an agent, I get a lot of questions from sellers regarding what is and isn't "the right" thing to do as we prepare to sell their home.  "What color should I paint the living room?"  "If I landscape the yard, will I get my money back on the sale?" "Robin, how do you remain humble about your vast and impressive knowledge of real estate?"  (Well maybe not all of those questions.)

I can typically divide these questions into two categories... style questions and "should I" questions.

Style questions are questions about things such as paint color, landscaping, decorating, etc., and are easy to answer.  Just remember one rule... offend the least number of people.  New homes are painted and tiled in light, neutral colors, not because everyone loves neutral colors, but because the least number of people HATE neutral colors.  Now of course if you have a knack for decorating and feel confident leaving the neutral zone, then by all means go for it.  However, if people describe your tastes as "whimsical", if you feel that the Taco Cabana motif can also blend well in the home, or if you're like the rest of us and just don't know, then you do yourself a favor and stick with neutral.

So that's it for style questions... very easy.

As for the "should I" questions... such as, "Should I clean out the garage before we put the house on the market?" or, "If I replace the carpet, will I get my money back on the sale?" or "Can I leave Mr. Boot's litter box in the utility room?"... on those questions, I'm going to let you in on a secret that most agents don't want you to know.  Ready?  Alright, here it is...

The people that buy your house... are going to be people!  That's right... a person is going to buy your house.  Which is perfect, because guess what???  You're a person too!  And as a person, you're in the perfect position to answer many of these questions.  So let's give it a try...

Do I have to leave the house when people come to view it?
Well, we want the people who are looking at your home to feel comfortable.  We want them to feel free to look around and check it out... and hopefully imagine it being their home some day.  So if YOU were looking at a house, would you feel more or less comfortable having the owners hanging out in the same room?  Less, of course.  There's your answer.

Easy, right?  Alright, another...

If I spend $2,000 replacing our laminate counter-tops with granite, will I get my money back on the sale?
Well, your agent should be able to tell you which improvements will give you the highest payoff on your investment, but even then it's not an exact science.  So, if you were looking at a house in your area and saw one with new granite counter-tops, would it increase your impression of value by $2,000 or something close to it?  Probably, right? (depending on the price range of the home)  So, yes granite may be worth looking into if you have the resources.

Now as for your $50,000 in-ground pool, the $500 phone line you had installed next to your toilet, and the $7,000 imported Venetian glass chandelier... you can kiss that money goodbye!  They may have value to you, but hopefully you can see why the average person would not pay your cost to have them.

Alright, one more...

Can I leave my dogs in the house when people come to view it?
Sure you can!  It's your house... you can set up an emu farm in the living room if you want! (subject to city approval)  But should you?  No!  Would YOU want someone's dogs jumping on your family while you were trying to shop for a home?  Of course not.  As a buyer's agent, I can't tell you how distracting and detrimental it is when a seller leaves little Sparky in the house to greet us.  I know you love him.  I know he's just like family.  I know that when you found him he was just a puppy and he was abandoned by the side of the road, and you saved his life, and in the mornings he lays in your lap while you watch The Today Show and the two of you share an indescribable bond with each other.  I know, I know, I know!  But the people looking at your house don't know... or care.  They just want to see the house.  Do yourself a favor and take Sparky on a walk... he'll love it!

So at the risk of marginalizing my real estate degree, let me say this... a lot of this stuff is not rocket science!  Detach for a moment and put yourself in the position of the buyer... many of these questions will answer themselves.  Your agent should be able to back up your assumptions with solid data and experience so that, together, the two of you can make the correct decisions before and after your house goes on the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment